Friday, July 11, 2014

Muffin Master Recipe

Muffins have defeated me for years. I can't for the life of me make a really good muffin. They're either too moist, too dry, too crumbly, too heavy - you name it, I've made it and badly.

So, not to be completely defeated, I've been searching the internet for a good master recipe. I found two that were fairly similar and adapted them into one recipe. I made dried apricot muffins with this recipe and they turned out beautifully! Light, just moist enough, good crumb, nice flavour. A winner!

They're not what I'd call healthy eating by any means, but since I make them for others, not for me, I'm not worried. Now that I have the perfect recipe, I'll play around and experiment with soaked wholemeal flour and rapadura or coconut sugar instead of raw sugar.

Recipe has been adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction website. The other site I used was the US Better Homes And Gardens Website.





Muffin Master Recipe
The Bush Gourmand

1 ½ cups plain flour
½ cup raw caster sugar 
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt

Mix dry ingredients together with any dried fruit, cheese, spices, choc chips etc.

2 eggs, beaten
½ cup soured milk or buttermilk
¼ cup oil (I use macadamia) or melted butter (I think these would be a little firmer when cool)
2 tsp vanilla

Blend together and mix into dry ingredients. Fill greased muffin cups to ¾ full. Preheat oven to 220C and bake for 5 minutes. Reduce to 190C and bake a further 20 - 25 minutes.

ADDITIONS:

Streusel topping
3 Tbsp flour
3 Tbsp brown sugar
¼ tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp butter, chopped

Blend together in Thermomix until crumbly. Sprinkle over uncooked muffins prior to baking. Can add 2 Tbsp chopped pecans.

Apricot Muffins
Add ½ cup chopped dried apricots into flour mix.

Date and Orange Muffins
Add ½ cup chopped dried dates and rind of one orange. Make up milk to ½ cup including 2 Tbsp of orange juice.

Cheese Muffins
Reduce sugar to 2 Tbsp. Stir ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese and ¼ tsp cayenne pepper into flour mixture. You can also add corn and grated zucchini.

Berry Muffins
Fold ¾ cup frozen berries into flour mixture just before adding liquid mixture. 

Banana Muffins
Reduce milk to ¼ cup. Stir 2 small mashed banana and ½ cup chopped nuts into flour with the liquid ingredients.

Cranberry Muffins
Fold 1 cup coarsely chopped cranberries and 2 tablespoons additional sugar into flour mixture.

Oatmeal Muffins
Reduce flour to 1 cup and add ½ cup rolled oats to flour mixture. 

Lemon Muffins
Add zest of one lemon to flour mixture. Make up milk to ½ cup including 2 Tbsp lemon juice. 
Grind 2 Tbsp raw sugar with thinly peeled rind of one lemon in Thermomix until fine. Sprinkle over muffins just before baking.

Muffins are best eaten warm. I love to split them open and spread each side with lashings of butter. 
Enjoy!



Megan

1 comment:

  1. Muffinssss I love itttt
    http://foodandmoreblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete