Thursday, April 22, 2010

Thermomix Sponge Cake



Yes! You can make a sponge cake in the Thermomix. The recipe is one I normally make in my beloved Kitchen Aid. It has never failed for me, even once when I left out one of the raising agents.
When whipping eggs or egg whites in the Thermomix, it's advisable to use a little heat. I whip eggs on 37, but you can even go to 60C.

No Fail Thermomix Sponge
4 large eggs
100g castor sugar (or blitz your sugar in the Thermomix first)
100g wheaten cornflour (also known as wheat starch)
70g custard powder
1 tsp plain flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp bi-carb soda

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line two 20cm deep sided tins with baking paper. Grease the sides lightly and sprinkle with little cornflour.

Place butterfly into Thermomix bowl.
Add eggs and beat on 37C for 8 minutes on speed 4.
While this is beating, sift flour onto baking paper twice.
Scrape down lid.
Add sugar and beat on speed 4 for 3 minutes.
Remove butterfly.
Add flour and mix on speed 1 - 2 for about 20 seconds.

Pour evenly  into tins and bake for 25 minutes. Turn cakes out onto wire rack and remove paper.
Carefully turn over. Allow to cool. Pop one in the freezer and eat the other!



Decorate as desired. For this particular sponge, I used home made Plum & Mulberry Jam in the middle, whipped cream and grated chocolate on top.


12 comments:

  1. Hi Meganjane,
    Living in the U.K I have never come across "wheaten cornflour" before. Could I use 100% cornflour or polenta?
    Regards Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wheaten cornflour is exactly that, cornflour made from wheat. It has been further refined to make it more easily soluble and similar to cornflour made from maize.
    I would use ordinary maize flour, but take out a teaspoon of the maize flour and replace with a teaspoon of regular cake flour. This would then give two teaspoons of ordinary cake flour altogether.
    Hope that makes sense Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks good Meganjane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a clever lady MJ and I thank you for your dedication in getting the recipe right for Thermomix users.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job on this one! Have been toying around with a sponge recipe as well for EDC upgrade...maybe need to try this one ay??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tenina, yes, definitely use this one. The recipe is as old as time, many people would recognise it.
    My Mum gave it to me and I entered into my recipe book as "No Fail Sponge....yeh, sure", many years ago.
    It was only recently, two years ago, that I tried it and was amazed that it worked! I've even left out the rising agents by mistake and it still worked...
    People on the forum who've tried it were very pleased when they had the same success, so you can say it's 'well tested'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking forward to trying this recipe as soon as I get my Thermomix. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My problem is the colours in the custard powder. Anyone know of a good brand I could buy in Australia that is all natural?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ogran use annatto as a natural colouring in their custard powder. Remember, it's not a wheaten one, so the consistency of the sponge may be different.
    Really, you could just use cornflour in place of the custard powder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Followed this recipe accurately and it flopped big time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just made this recipe and am truly impressed. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete