Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Almond Cashew Milk


As mentioned in a previous post about dairy free alternatives, I make my own nut milk which I use primarily for hot drinks.

I've come up with the best recipe, I believe that looks very similar to milk and won't separate in my tea or coffee.

Cashew Almond Milk
30g raw almonds, skin on
30g raw cashews
960g filtered water
1 Tbsp coconut oil
30g Maple Syrup
1 tsp lecithin granules*
1/2 tsp bi-carbonate of soda**

Place nuts into TM bowl and grind on speed 9 for 20 seconds.
Add remaining ingredients and cook on 60 for 4 minutes at speed 4.
Gradually turn up to speed 8 and blend for 30 seconds.

Place a large square of muslin or cheesecloth into a mesh strainer and strain over a jug. Squeeze gently to extract all liquid.
Pour into bottle and refrigerate. Keeps for about 4 days.

*The lecithin granules are available at Health Food Stores or at www.2brothersfoods.com. The reason for adding is to assist with stopping separation in the bottle.
**The bi-carb increases the alkalinity of the milk, helping the lecithin in preventing separation in tea and coffee, both of which are acidic.

No comments:

Post a Comment