Regular Hot Cross Buns
Chocolate Hot Cross Buns
My DD doesn't like dried fruit in baked goods, so I made her a batch of Chocolate Hot Cross Buns using a recipe from Maddy, a lovely member of the Forum Thermomix.
I also made regular Hot Cross Buns using achookwoman's recipe, another wonderful Forum member.
Both recipes turned out really well and were delicious in their own way. The chocolate version was beautifully light and had a fluffy texture. The quantity was larger, so they mushroomed up and out of the tin. The quantity for the regular Hot Cross Buns was perfect for the small Scanpan baking dish.
So, I've decided to combine the two and add my particular tweaks. Here's the recipe I've come up with:
The Bush Gourmand Hot Cross Buns
500g bread flour 1 1/2 tsp bread improver
1 tsp salt 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
70g butter, in pieces 1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
40g sugar 1 1/2 tsp mixed spice
4 tsp dried yeast 1/2 tsp ground cloves
300g warm milk 1/2 tsp ground ginger
150g mixed dried fruit, coated with 2 tsp flour
1. Place all ingredients, except fruit into TM bowl. Mix for 6 seconds, speed 6, scrape down.
Knead on interval speed for 4 minutes
2. Remove from bowl and place on to a Themomat or other silicone mat. Fold mat over dough to make a package. Leave in a warm place to rise until doubled, around an hour or so.
3. Lightly flour mat and dough to prevent sticking. Shape into a flattish rectangle shape. Sprinkle with the dried fruit and roll up. Knead to incorporate fruit.
4. Make into a log and cut into three. Cut each piece into four. I like to weigh each piece and then each bun to ensure they're relatively even.
5. Place into a greased small baking dish (I use a Scanpan dish) or slice tin and loosely cover with a plastic shopping bag that's been sprayed with oil.
6. Leave in a warm place to rise until doubled. Make the piping mixture.
7. When proved to double, remove plastic bag and pipe crosses onto buns in long lines. Use a plastic freezer bag and make a tiny snip in one corner.
8. Place in a pre-heated 220 C oven for 20 - 25 minutes. While baking, make the sugar syrup.
9. Turn buns onto wire rack. Leave to cool for 5 minutes or so and then brush with sugar syrup to glaze.
Piping Mixture Sugar Syrup
80g flour 2 Tbsp sugar
90g water 2 Tbsp water
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp icing sugar Boil together for a few minutes.
The Bush Gourmand Chocolate Hot Cross Buns
500g Bread Flour
2tsp dried yeast
1 1/2 tsp bread improver
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 Tbsp caster sugar
2 Tbsp good quality cocoa
70g butter, cubed
300g warm milk
3/4 to 1 cup chopped Belgian Chocolate
Use the same method as above