Thursday, January 21, 2010

Chocolate Salami

The idea of this appealed to me. Something that isn't quite what it seems...

But, having made it and tasted as I went, I'm not sure that it is as delicious as I was hoping. I will taste it again once it's set, but generally, if the mixture tastes good, the finished product will.

The recipe originates from The British Larder website and parts of it are made in the trusty Thermomix, which is how I found the recipe in the first place.

I change it a little, as I don't like craisins (dried cranberries) in sweet things. To me, they go well in savoury dishes, adding that sweet/sour tang. I used glace cherries and omitted the sugar.

Chocolate Salami

  • 80g unsalted butter
  • 200g dark chocolate
  • 200g marie biscuits
  • 55g toasted almonds
  • 55g pistachios
  • 50g pecans
  • 80g glace cherries
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 80g Kahlua
  • 2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 80g Condensed milk
  • Cocoa powder & icing sugar blend
Crush the Biscuits into small pieces, but not crumbs. Chop the nuts in the Thermomix on speed 5 for a few seconds. Add to biscuits.
Chop cherries into pieces and add Kahlua.

Put the broken up chocolate and butter in Thermomix and melt for 4 minutes/speed 2/50°c until melted. Add condensed milk, vanilla and egg yolks through the top and continue to cook for 6 minutes/speed 2/50°.
Allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Pour into biscuit and nut mix and add cherries with Kahlua. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Leave for another 10 minutes until beginning to harden.

Divide into two and place onto plastic wrap. Roll into a fat sausage shape. Twist ends.

chocolate_salami21
You can then roll in a sushi mat to achieve a texture. Refrigerate for around 2 hours.

Remove the cling film and then roll the salami in cocoa powder/icing sugar mixture. You can then wrap in baking paper and tie with string to give that classic delicatessen salami look, but I wouldn't bother. Cut thin slices to serve.

I have found this lacking a bit of flavour. Next time, I would add some crushed peppermints and perhaps some peppermint flavouring. Alternatively, another flavouring such as cherry would be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment