Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Simple Tomato and Grapefruit Salad

During the summer months we have a LOT of barbecues. I vary the meat but find it hard to create new delicious salads with the basic fruits and veges that I can buy at our local store.
I had a ruby grapefruit in the fruit bowl that has been sitting there for a while and some tomatoes which were a bit pale, so I thought I'd make a salad from these. But what would I add to make it a bit more 'special'?
Remembering that some basil seeds planted a few months ago actually developed into basil plants, I thought I'd use some fresh torn basil leaves.

Tomato and Grapefruit Salad
2 tomatoes
1 ruby grapefruit
6 basil leaves
French Dressing (I used my home-made dressing)

Cut tomatoes in half and slice. Then cut each of the halved sliced tomatoes in half again. Peel and slice grapefruit in the same way so that you have sliced 'quarters'.
Spread into a shallow glass dish. Top with torn basil leaves and drizzle dressing over the top. Leave to marinate for an hour or so.

I forgot to take a photo before this was all devoured!

No comments:

Post a Comment